28 December 2012

Prayers for Newtown

Hearts everywhere are hurting for the families and the community of Newtown, Connecticut.  Parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles are holding the little ones in their lives much closer.  All knowing very well that this grotesque act of violence could have taken place in their community, happened to their family, and taken the life of their child.

I personally like to live in a bubble when it comes to the Local, National and World News anymore.  It is primarily a report of violence, hatred, and conflict. I like to be informed on the surface, but ignorant to the details. I find it helpful in keeping at bay worry and anxiety for what the future holds. I attempt to place my confidence in God and knowing that He is omniscient and omnipotent. HE is in control.

Even so, a tragedy this disturbing stays with you. Yesterday and today, I have stopped for brief moments throughout the day to pray for the families affected and the Newtown community. I cannot fathom the hurt and the pain they are experiencing. And each time I ask myself to pause and comprehend their sorrows, it brings an ache to my heart and tears to my eyes.

I've read and listened to some of the thoughts and opinions of others: We need gun control. We need to invest more in our mental health system. We should have been doing this and we need to be doing that. Maybe so, but what I really believe we need is revival in this nation. We as a nation, as states, communities, and individuals have put God away and made very clear that He is not needed, much less wanted. We are pushing him out of our schools, our workplace, and most importantly, our homes. I will be the first to admit that I am guilty here - I am not the Christian I ought to be, not even close. America needs revival and as I hear our Preacher say time and time again, let it start with me.

I mostly wanted to share with you the words to one of the hymns God has brought to my heart today. It's based on 2 Chronicles 7:14.
If my people, which are called by name, shall humbles themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Please pray for the community and families in Newtown and for revival in the hearts of America's people.

Thanks for reading.

Kate

December 15, 2012

1 Comments:

Unknown said...

Beautifully said, sister! Somehow everyone is is afraid of God. They focus so much on "the rules" of religion and the "judgements" they believe we live by that they miss the whole point of it all: the love of God. I always try to tell people that if they break it down to its simplest form, Christianity is about a loving Father who created you, supports you, embraces you, encourages you and wants the best for you. Who doesn't want that? Embrace that and accept that and the rest will follow. Lets be honest, we aren't doing real will without it, so what do we have to lose to try it?
Vicky
Your new Bloggy BFF.

Post a Comment

i HEART comments! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!